Thursday, September 26, 2013

Reel Thursday: Insidious Chapter 2 (2013)

Insidious: Chapter 2 was just released in cinemas here in the Philippines last September 18, 2013. I was so excited to watch this because I really liked the first movie. Last Sunday, when my friend and I were bored and I was waiting for the rain to stop so that I can go home, we both decided to watch the movie. It was still raining though, but it didn't stop us from watching this. She also liked the first movie, and we both agreed that it was much better than the popular horror movie in the Philippines, "The Conjuring," even though it was both directed by James Wan. 


The story of this second movie starts from the part where the first movie ended. I will not say much about the movie so as not to spoil it, but I must say that the story was well-written, although I cannot applaud the screenplay much. The mystery was fine, and it kept me guessing until almost the end, but I'm afraid that some people might not follow the movie easily because of the transitions. Other than that, I believe that this horror film is quite good. I even love its cinematography. It had some flashbacks to the past during Josh's childhood, and I found the young Elise and young Lorraine to be charming, probably because of the fashion style that they presented.

Elise's apprentices, Specs and Tucker, bring comedy to this horror film. In the first movie, they were a bit low profile, but in this movie, they really have a lot of (important?) roles, and because of that, they brought laughter in spite of the scary scenes.

The final scene of the movie implies another story that could be made into a film again (perhaps Insidious: Chapter 3), but this time with another family. Although, Specs, Tucker, and Elise, might still be present (as the last scene suggests) in the next film, if ever there will still be one.

Like I said before, I really like this film sequel as much as the original film. It gave me enough scares and yet it still has an original plot. I suggest that you watch the first film before watching this because it is important to be familiar with what happened in the first one. Also, the first movie is awesome so you should still watch it.

No comments :

Post a Comment