Monday, September 30, 2013

K-Mondays: Female 93-liners in Kpop.

I tend to remember Kpop Idols (especially if they're female idols) when they are born on the same year as me (1993). It just gives me a feeling of saying, "this girl has achieved so much, and we're the same age." I sort of look up to them because I understand their hard work, especially in the Kpop industry. I chose to discuss only about the 93-liner girls because I am not familiar with Kpop male idols who are born in 1993, mainly because I tend to be inclined to Bigbang more, or those male idols who are older.

I'll start with Park Jiyeon (T-ara). Jiyeon was born on June 7, 1993. I got to know about her from T-ara, when they were promoting "Bo Peep Bo Peep" in 2010 I guess.

Photo taken from T-ara's official Korean website

I then got more exposed to Jiyeon when I watched the K-drama "God of Study," which is the Korean version of the Japanese drama 'Dragon Zakura.' I am actually not a T-ara fan, but I do listen to some of their popular singles like Boo Peep Bo Peep, Roly Poly, Lovey-Dovey, etc. I came to like Jiyeon mainly because of her appearances in variety shows like Heroes (SBS), Hello Baby, Running Man, and also in K-dramas. She was also a main cast in Dream High 2, and I watched the show because of her but I ended up liking the series and watching the first season as well. 

Next is Park Jiyeon's best friend, IU. IU was born May 16, 1993. I first knew her because of her friendship with Jiyeon. I was watching Heroes back then, and found out about IU, who's also a 93-liner.


Photo taken from IU's official Korean website

IU's real name is Lee Ji-eun. Like I mentioned before, I only knew her because of Jiyeon. She's a soloist, and that's why I think I never really encountered her music before. When I discovered about IU, I also liked her music and the fact that she plays the guitar and do covers. I got more interested in IU when I found out that she's friends with Cheon-dung (MBLAQ), who is Sandara Park's younger brother. I am a Dara fan ever since she got popular in the Philippines, and that's why I was intrigued when I knew about Cheon-dung being IU's friend. They even did covers together. 

I actually watched IU's guesting on Running Man, and that episode was the one that got me hooked on Running Man. Again because I liked Dream High 2, I then watched Dream High and it was just a plus that IU was part of the cast. Her role in Dream High was so cute, together with Wooyoung (2PM).

Lastly, I want to talk about Apink's Eunji. Jung Eunji was born on August 18, 1993. I only realized now that she has the same birth month and day as G-dragon. Anyway, her real name is Jung Hye-rim.


Screenshot from the K-drama, Reply 1997 Ep 7

I only knew Eunji because of Reply 1997. I like the K-drama so much, and I believe that Eunji's acting was really good. Her strong personality in the drama, coupled with her Busan speaking accent, made her more effective in convincing me that she's not like other female idols. To be completely honest, I don't take the time to know about the new female idols because I think that they just use the same concepts over and over (if not cutesy, then let's do sexy). Apink is one of those idol groups that I knew about but skip through when watching the year-end performances. I wouldn't even include Eunji here if I didn't watch and like her in Reply 1997. However, when I watched her guesting in Running Man just recently, I grew more interested. I hope to see more of her in variety shows and other K-dramas.

If you noticed, these girls all did acting in someway. I am not a fan of female idols, (except 2NE1) and that's why I like these three because I saw them act in a K-drama, and in variety shows. I do tend to listen to their music after getting to know about them, and they all have some nice songs that I listen to. 

I really hope to see more of them in K-dramas and variety shows this year.

No comments :

Post a Comment