Wednesday, September 18, 2013

J-Wednesdays 水曜日だ!: My Favorite Anime as a Kid.

I love anime. I'm one of those people who have claimed, at some point of his/her own life, that he/she's an Otaku. I'm not really one though. I would be a shame to all of the more dedicated anime Otakus out there. Anyway, I've started to like anime ever since I was a kid, since back then anime generally dominated the morning and afternoon airing slots in TV stations. Anime in the Philippines are dubbed in Tagalog much like the Korean dramas. As a kid, I was attracted to those magical girls who fight bad people. Can you already guess what my number one favorite was? It's Cardcaptor Sakura! If you were my age, and you basically spend all the time watching anime on TV when you were kids (in the Philippines) then you must be familiar with Cardcaptor Sakura. 


Photo taken from Wikipedia

It was the very first anime series that I've ever been so into. Before the most popular Sakura (from Naruto) even existed, this Sakura was the queen first. I admired everything about it. Sakura's costume, her best friend who's always making her new clothes, the love-hate relationship with Li Syaoran, the different 'Clow' cards, and the two handsome onii-chans. I first watched it on a free-to-air TV channel in the Philippines, and continued on watching it on Animax in English dub. Even now, I would still watch if it airs again on any TV channel. I actually bought a 'Clow' card set for myself 2 years ago, to fulfill my childhood dream of having one.


Photo taken from Wikipedia

Another magical girl anime series that I loved as a kid is Ultra Maniac. When I started to watch Cardcaptor Sakura on Animax, I also got hooked on this anime. It's quite similar to Cardcaptor Sakura because of its magical girl theme. I was interested in this anime (and still is, it's awesome!) first because the witches had awesome little computers instead of old books and potions.


Photo taken from Wikipedia

I've watched Chobits when it first aired on Animax. This anime really has a particular space in my heart that can never leave. I really am attached to this anime series, not only because Chii (main character) is so cute, but because of the overall somehow deep story. I've learned a lot from this anime from actual Japanese society and culture, and philosophical and depressing stuff. Imagine watching this as a 9-10 year old. I even have Chii's name as my e-mail address that I, in fact, still use.


Photo taken from Wikipedia

Last but not the least is UFO Baby or Daa! Daa! Daa! This anime also aired in a free-to-air TV channel in the Philippines, but it only aired on weekends. I sometimes could not watch it and continued on watching online. However, not all of the episodes are subbed in English, that's why I couldn't watch the ending properly. I remember that I've watched it when I was in high school but couldn't understand what they were saying but still got something out of it. Which reminds me, I've got to watch the RAW video again and see if I can understand it now. I definitely miss Ruu-chama, Wanya, Kanata and Miyu! I think I still have the subbed copies of this anime. Definitely going to re-watch it.


P.S.

Fact: These anime series are all from manga series (hence the pictures), but I've only watched the anime versions of all of them.

Fact: All of them either involves magic girls or sci-fi.

Fact: All of them are Romance Comedies.

No comments :

Post a Comment