Thursday, September 5, 2013

Reel Thursday: Bakit Hindi Ka Crush Ng Crush Mo? (Filipino film)

This is the first time that I'm going to write about a Filipino film in this blog. I've written reaction papers about certain box-office Filipino movies when I was in college but now's the first time that I'm actually writing just for fun. I wanted to write this in Filipino but I just decided that it would also be good if people of other nationalities would enjoy the story too.


Photo taken from Goodreads

Bakit Hindi Ka Crush Ng Crush Mo, in English means, "Why is it that your crush doesn't have a crush on you?" or simply "Reasons why your crush doesn't like you." This movie is an adaption of a kind of "self-help" book of the same title by social media personality, Ramon Bautista. I've actually finished the book a month after it was published, and I found it better than I had expected. There were some philosophical statements that Ramon mentioned in the book that I agree with. One example is "90 percent ng problema mo ay imbento mo lamang," which means "90 percent of your problems are those you create in your mind." Come on, think about it. It is true.


Photo taken from Wikipedia

The movie, on the other hand, is a romantic comedy love story between a girl who's considered as an "Ugly Duckling" and a rich and handsome guy who helps her in getting over her bastard ex-boyfriend. To be honest, I had expected the story to be about some kind of college girl who has a crush on her classmate and ends up delaying her graduation because of the guy.. The reason why I think it should've been like that is because majority of the problems tackled in the book was about young people perhaps from high school to college level who are suffering from problems about love. Nonetheless, the movie was made already, and it has a different storyline than I had thought.

If it hadn't taken the title from Ramon Bautista's book, and inserted some of Ramon's advices to the youth about love, I would've just considered it as a normal Filipino film. Normal Filipino films are cheesy and pre-determined and by pre-determined I mean we can easily foresee what is going to happen next. In short, plot-wise, I was not satisfied with the story. The execution, however, is to my liking. I like the flow of the movie, the dialogue (despite the cheesiness of some), and the characters. Overall, it was an okay movie, and I don't have anything against it. It's your typical Filipino romance comedy that is fun and romantic, but very cheesy at the end.

No comments :

Post a Comment