Monday, September 16, 2013

K-Mondays: Monday Couple Madness.

I've finished watching the latest episode of Running Man just now, which is episode 163. It's the episode where Bigbang's G-dragon, Daesung, and Seungri are guests, and it was so much fun seeing my favorite Kpop group in Running Man (although TOP and Taeyang's not present). On another note, the episode's main character is Song Ji Hyo, and everyone should please Ji Hyo so that they could win the games, or be at an advantage. I will talk about it in further detail on my post tomorrow for Tuesday Running Man. I brought the topic of the latest episode up because I wanted to say how the Monday Couple's relationship was brought to another level in the latest episode. Again, I will talk more about that tomorrow.

Since it is Monday, I believe that it's the right day to talk about the biggest ship that I'm currently part of/riding in, which is Monday Couple. For those who don't know who or what even Monday Couple is, it's a partnership between two celebrities in the Korean variety show, Running Man. The two are Song Ji Hyo and Kang Gary. They are called the 'Monday Couple' because the shooting day for Running Man is usually on Mondays. I first came to know Song Ji Hyo from the K-drama "Goong," where she starred in as a supporting character (antagonist). On the other hand, I've just known about Kang Gary from Running Man. I started to like Monday Couple when I watched some episodes of Running Man back in early 2012, and they were "broken up" then because of Ji Hyo's real life relationship. However, their awkward interactions, added with Gary's attempt on teasing Ji Hyo with regards to their relationship as Monday Couple is so cute, that I eventually started shipping them. As I continue to like Running Man, I watched the show from its first episode until I eventually caught up with the new ones. 

Monday Couple started way back in 2010, when Gary expressed his interest for the only female regular cast of Running Man, which is Ji Hyo. Their awkward encounters then started in a certain moment when they were left alone together..


Because they didn't talk much even when left alone, Gary decided to break the ice by doing the "Guess Who?" thing to Ji Hyo. But then it became more awkward.


After Gary got iced coffee for Ji Hyo to ease the awkwardness, he started to act all confident and cool about it, which made Ji Hyo laugh.


Ji Hyo then gave half of the coffee to Gary because it seems like Gary also wants to have a drink. Gary responded by saying "What's the meaning of this?" which in turn made Ji Hyo laugh again.

Gary's awkward but confident "flirting" with Ji Hyo is just so fun to watch not only because of Gary, but also because of Ji Hyo's reactions. She just accepts Gary's attempts on "flirting" and laughs, that's why Gary gains the confidence in doing it again and again, which is so cute.

One more thing that I like about this on-screen couple is their loyalty for each other. These two rarely betray each other during games, that's why they make a really strong team in Running Man. For instance during individual games, even though they are not required to team up, they would always do, and end up being loyal to each other.



This is the superpowers episode where they had a survival game. Even though Ji Hyo got out just after they had an alliance, Gary ended up winning.

Even though I'm aware that they're doing it (Monday Couple) for the audience because Running Man fans usually adore them, I still love their on-screen relationship. It's not easy for people to become so attached to some fake on-screen couple especially that this show is not even a K-drama or a romantic comedy. The fact that despite being a variety show, their being a couple still stands out and no one can deny their chemistry on-screen that even some fans would think (like me? hahaha!) that it's possible that they could eventually develop feelings for each other. However, there's no denying that they're good friends/colleagues that they can keep on bringing joy to Monday Couple lovers like me. 

3 comments :