Monday, September 9, 2013

K-Mondays: G-dragon's Coup D'etat.





Ladies, (and gentlemen, but mostly ladies) G-dragon is back with his new album, "Coup D'etat." Even though I'm longing for a Bigbang comeback, I'm still satisfied with G-dragon coming back with his new album. First is my opinion on the whole album: The best so far. Maybe I've just grown tired of his One of a Kind album, but I think that this is the best album he made so far because of the song concepts. It's not like in One of a Kind, where the different songs have different colors, even when you're just hearing it. In Coup D'etat, you'll feel the "oneness" of the songs, that it really came from a single album. Like all other albums of GD, it also has different song genres like hiphop, rock, pop, rn'b, etc. Maybe another reason why I like GD is because of his musical style; his style really fits my taste. 

Coup D'etat has different online versions (part 1, part 2, international version) and an album version. There are songs from other versions that are not available in others. I'm now going to talk about the songs within the album(s), though I will just be blabbering about those that I really like. First is Black featuring Sky Ferreira. The other version of Black features Jennie Kim, from YG's supposedly new girl group. Check out their (GD's and Jennie Kim's) performance of Black in this video below.


I think Jennie Kim performed fairly well, despite all the hate she's getting from other fans. I'm actually dying to see all of those girls, which YG is still keeping in their headquarters, perform. I mentioned Sky Ferreira's version because I like it better because it has English lyrics that I can sing with. Haha! Also, it's the first song that I liked in the whole album and I like how it has a laid back Rn'B beat. I am a huge fan of Rn'B and that's why it is my first pick. May I also add that both Sky Ferreira and Jennie Kim's versions are perfect for the song? Moving on to the next song, which is Crooked or 삐딱하게. What I like about this song, like what my friend and I agreed about, is its sad yet upbeat melody. It's a perfect song to bang your head with and just feel the emotions run through you. Even though I don't understand the lyrics well, I can still feel the emotions being channeled by G-dragon in the song Crooked. You can also check out the awesome music video below, which is a perfect concept for the song. I also love GD's looks in this video because let's face it, he's always gorgeous. Seriously though, he looks so different and so simply him, despite the extravagant makeup and clothes.


Lastly, I didn't like R.O.D. featuring Lydia Paek at first, but I grew more attached to it probably because of Lydia's vocals. I'm a fan of her and I'm so happy that she gets to feature in this album of G-dragon. R.O.D. is sort of a Dubstep style electro, and with Lydia's vocals it "got me losing my mind," which are the lyrics to the song. There are many other songs in his album that features world-popular musicians like Diplo, Missy Elliot, Baauer, etc., so be sure to check them all out!

Even though this album is said (by YG himself) to be not made to sell or to make it to the music charts, it still did and I think that the album being created out of GD's love for making music instead of selling it to the public is more touching and that's why I like the album overall.

No comments :

Post a Comment