Monday, September 2, 2013

K-Mondays: Master's Sun (K-drama)

Romantic comedy veterans, So Ji Sub and Gong Hyo Jin stars in the latest Hong Sisters' Rom-Com K-drama, Master's Sun. The Korean title for Master's Sun is  주군의 태양, which is sort of a play on the name of the lead characters, Joo Joong Won (So Ji Sub) and Tae Gong Shil (Gong Hyo Jin). Just by the main stars and the writer of this new drama series, it really gained much attention from viewers like me. To be honest, I always look forward to the Hong Sisters' new K-dramas and that's why I won't let this new one pass. It's only a bonus that So Ji Sub and Gong Hyo Jin are the stars for this much awaited drama.

I've only watched the first episode of Master's Sun, and I can say that it could be promising. I won't judge yet if it could be better or worst from then on (because of my experience with Big), but I'll definitely continue this drama. Without further ado, here goes the first episode of "Master's Sun."



Okay, now. Sorry for the scary screen shots. I just want to show how this K-drama is a Horror, Romantic-Comedy. Much like the movie I reviewed about some time ago, Chilling Romance, it's a Rom-Com with a hint of Horror, which is a mix of my favorite genres. I usually watch Horror movies with friends or family but since this is a K-drama, I'd want to watch it alone first because I always want to watch K-dramas alone first for some reason before I make others watch it with me.


The ghost above beside Tae Gong Shil (Gong Hyo Jin) is actually a ghost of a grandmother who's seeking help from her. Tae Gong Shil, after a life or death accident, survived but as a consequence, she's now suffering from becoming aware of ghosts around her. As if seeing them is not scary enough, they also approach her and ask her for favors that they couldn't do when they (the ghosts) were still alive.


The main leads, Gong Shil and Joong Won, met in the most "horror-like" way. It was raining at night, and Gong Shil was looking to hitch a ride. Then came this man, Joong Won, with his car and driver. They ended up taking her in the car, despite Joong Won protesting.


They stopped at a rest-stop because it seems that something (a ghost) was bothering Gong Shil. And then the most amazing thing happened to Gong Shil when she touched Joong Won. The ghosts that kept bothering her went away.


A new, supporting character was introduced, and that is Seo In Guk as Kang Woo. He's a new tenant in the same residence building as Gong Shil.


The mystery goes on, because it seems like Kang Woo has some hidden agenda that is related to Joong Won's company.






This love story is Gong Shil's "project" for this episode. I expect that in each episode there would be something like this where Gong Shil will be helping a lost soul and helping it to move on. The story of the dead girl is quite touching because when they got married when she's still alive, she immediately broke up with the guy and never faced him again. The reason for that was because she's terminally ill, and will die soon, and she doesn't want to be a burden for the guy who's chasing his dreams. The guy didn't know about it until when the girl met Gong Shil, and asked her for a favor which is to help her send the message to the guy. It was creepy at first yet still heartbreaking.


By the end of the first episode, Gong Shil seems to have found out about the "ghost" of Joong Won's past, and Joong Won ends up confronting her. However, Gong Shil was too tired of all the ghosts asking favors from her and ends up in Joong Won's arms.

Like I said before, the first episode was quite promising, and there's no reason to stop watching. My concern is just the horror part, because there are some really surprising scenes that makes me jump. Nevertheless, it's a fresh idea for a Rom-Com, and I hope that the writers will continue to shape the plot well.

No comments :

Post a Comment