Thursday, August 29, 2013

Reel Thursday: Timer (Film, 2009)



What if, just what if, we had a chance to know who our soulmate really is? Also, what if we get to know when we'll meet that person and the timer is literally in our hands? I once saw this post on Tumblr and other people actually added their own stories based from that premise. I was amazed by how these people came up with different ideas on how to go on with the story, when suddenly someone mentioned that there is a movie based from that idea.


At first, I thought that it was a great idea, finding the one made for you. When you think of it, it's really great and all that but what if you had the timer on your wrist and it didn't tick? Or what if it did tick, and showed that you wouldn't meet your soul mate until you're like 43? Tough luck, isn't it? The two main characters in the movie called "TiMER" were the two people I'm talking about just now. It was the era of TiMERs, and almost everyone who hasn't settled down (and some who already did) have their TiMERs on their wrists and waits for that day to come when they meet their soulmate. 

What I like about this movie is that it created some idea, a great idea even, which everyone, deep inside their heart, longs for (meeting their soul mate). However, what I like in this movie even more was that it challenged its own idea of having a TiMER. There would eventually be strange instances like what the two female leads in the movie experienced, and that's where the story actually starts. The two female lead characters, who are step-sisters, upon realizing how unfortunate their situations are, wind up meeting people who they like and eventually falls in love with. The thing is, however, those people are not their soul mates according to the TiMER. This movie is somehow heartbreaking yet gives you the hope in finding your special someone.

If you've read some of my reviews way back, you'll be able to know that I'm a sucker for endings. I sometimes even judge a movie by its ending. However, I don't dislike sad endings, because as long as the ending would suit the whole premise of the story, I'll like it. This movie has an ending that I really like (albeit made me sort of dumb-founded at first), and I will definitely recommend watching this for those who like new ideas for love stories (like me). I also did a review on the movie Upside Down, which is also a science fiction romance film like this. Lastly, like what I've mentioned before, the main thing that I like about this movie was that it created its own concept, and eventually challenges it.

No comments :

Post a Comment