Thursday, August 8, 2013

Reel Thursday: Upside Down

What if love was stronger than gravity?


I have been searching and searching for romantic comedy movies to watch, old or new. I watched mostly old films from the 90s or the early 2000s, and some of them are quite good while some I didn't finish. Recently, I had the chance to copy movies from my romantic comedy loving friend and I got some quite decent ones. One movie that caught my attention because of its bizarreness is the movie in the title of this post, which is Upside Down. The concept was original and something that I haven't heard of before be it in romance or in sci-fi films. I repeat, it was new for me because I haven't really known anything like this before. I was especially excited about it being a romance movie. Luckily (or not!!), there was a blackout last night in our neighborhood and my laptop had been fully charged, thus I had the resources to watch a new movie. I had the urge to watch Upside Down first, and so I did. I don't really want to spoil this movie for anyone who reads this post and plans to watch it so I just want to offer a bit of snippet or the general idea of the movie. 


The story is within a concept of two worlds in one planet which has dual gravity, thus the ability for them to exist together, in a manner which there is an upper world and a "down below" world. Matter belonging to their respective worlds are bound by the pull of gravity into their world, not the other. Next thing is an object's weight can be offset using matter from the opposite world. Meaning, this could happen:


In this screen capture from the movie, the girl is from the upper world while the guy is from down below that's why the girl is being stopped by this rock thing from falling back to her world.

The last thing is, if a matter is in contact of an inverse matter (those from the opposite world), after a few hours, it would burn.


Despite the worlds being opposite each other, there is a place, a company in fact, where both can exist together (albeit only physically). It is called TransWorld, a huge company that utilizes both worlds for the benefit of mostly the upper world. 


The male lead in this movie is of course way ahead of this company in terms of knowledge about gravity. There is something that exists in both worlds that could live off both worlds, and that is the pink bees. This flying pancake above is an example of what pink bees can do to things from both worlds. It somehow negates the effect of gravity. This pink bees will have an important role in that planet (and for the lovebirds) as the story progresses.

Finally, the movie is also a story of two people from opposite sides of the world (literally) who met by chance when they were young at a high peak of a mountain. They became friends and as time went by, became lovers of some sort. There was an event, unfortunately, that led them both to live their separate lives. The main story though is about how they met again after ten years, and how their love made it through despite the pull of gravity.

I would rate this movie 4 out of 5 stars. First, I like the unique concept of dual gravity. It is the main selling point of this movie. Second, I love the overall visuals. Third, I think it had a decent ending. And fourth, the characters are quite lovable. From here on though, I will mention things that I don't quite like about the movie. The love story is like your usual boy meets girl, fell in love, and all that. The only thing that added to the spice of their love story is the concept of dual gravity, which is a good thing but when I think about it, there's nothing else to be pleased about. Next is the ending. I said before that it had a decent ending, but I am not quite satisfied. I think it's a bit rushed but considering that it's a movie, I accepted it. Lastly, I felt that there was something missing from the movie. It's not the ending, nor the beginning, it's something in between. I felt that if that something (even I can't explain what that is) was present in the movie, it would be a 5 out of 5 star film for me. I think that it would be better if the story was made for a series rather than a film so that the entire new world created in the film would have more chance to be explored and shown into details.

No comments :

Post a Comment