Thursday, October 24, 2013

Reel Thursday: Drop Dead Diva.


Now, now. I will be writing about an American series on Reel Thursday like what I did back then for How I Met Your Mother. I got no new movies to ramble about so I'm pushing this. Drop Dead Diva is an American legal comedy-drama series that's still airing and now in its fifth season. I'm still on season one though and will be talking about what I think based from what I've already watched, which is the first episode.

Drop Dead Diva is about a girl, Deb, who ends up inhabiting Jane's (a lawyer) body after they both got into separate accidents. Both girls should already be dead, but Deb, upon entering the pearly gates, presses the "return" button and ends up returning to Earth and in Jane's body. Now, Deb's soul is in Jane's body but Jane's mind (with a high IQ) is still the same, so Deb now is not only back in Earth in a different body, but also became somehow smarter than she was.


Deb in her original body.


Jane before the accident.


Jane, now inhabited by Deb's soul.

Now, Deb's boyfriend is a new employee at Jane's workplace, and so Deb will be able to still interact with his boyfriend, but only in Jane's body. The sad thing is that Deb (while in Jane's body) found out that his boyfriend was already planning to propose to her but sadly, she died before that happened.

What I like about this series is that Jane's character, a lawyer who's deemed as insecure, was given the chance to live her life (albeit not really "her") differently. With Deb in her body, her life will change and everyone around her might eventually change what they think about her. Deb will be able to prove that Jane is not just a boring lawyer who's easily bullied but her good points, her selflessness and intelligence, will be able to shine. 

Since I'm only in the first episode, questions like "Where's Jane's soul now?" is still bugging me. I hope that in the future episodes, Jane's soul will make an appearance. I also have some ideas as to what might happen to Jane's soul, but I'll just keep it to myself and when my guess is right, I'll be able to say, "That's what I thought would happen!"

Finally, I'd like to thank my student for sharing me this wonderful series that I will definitely watch until the end. When she shared to me the synopsis of this series, I was really interested and it is, without a doubt, worth watching.

No comments :

Post a Comment