Wednesday, July 31, 2013

J-Wednesdays 水曜日だ!: Summer Anime 2013

Anime time! It's summer (well, in Japan) and so the season for slice-of-life anime is here. I say that because summer time is usually the time when teenage anime girls go to the beach, open a watermelon blind-folded, and run around in their swim suits. In that case, the genre will most likely be slice-of-life and shoujo. However, that's just my opinion. This summer though, there are many new anime series that falls between slice-of-life and shoujo. 

~start rant~ I know, like what Tomoko (WataMote) said, only those with sh-tty tastes watch slice-of-life anime. I beg to disagree! I love slice-of-life anime (well some others I really don't like) and it does not mean that if I don't watch Naruto or Shingeki no Kyojin or Fumoffu, I already have "sh*tty" taste! How many of you related with Konata in Lucky Star? Well may I just inform you that Lucky Star is a slice-of-life anime/manga!! ~end rant~ (pathetically) 

I currently tested out four animes last week and I will continue on watching three of them. Now, let me talk about those wonderful finds for this summer.


First is Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club. At first I was like, "What. Is this what it's supposed to be?" But now I'm like, "Emegerd, ikemen!" So yeah, it's swimming anime full of guys with chiseled body. I watched this without much information and I didn't read any synopsis or whatever so I figured I should also refrain from telling any snippets.


The next one is Kimi no Iru Machi (A Town Where You Live). This is the anime that I decided to stop watching after the first episode. First reason is that the artwork is so.. heavy for me. I usually continue an anime even if it has an artwork that is not my type but has a good plot/synopsis but really, this is an exception. I may be just yearning for good Romance anime nowadays that's why I watched this but nope, it does not make sense to me so I dropped it.


I am pretty please with this one with the long title but can be shortened as WataMote. I mentioned in my rant about the main character of this anime, Tomoko. The girl is every awkward anime loving girl (like me) that I know, except she's weirder. She thinks too positively which results to her assuming that she was popular in middle school. And now, she's struggling in high school because no one seems to talk to her. But when someone does, she gets all nervous and in other times, she just not notice that someone is being nice to her. She's dense for heaven's sake, and that's what's funny about this anime.


Last is Servant x Service. This anime has a refreshing feel to it, being NOT set in high school and all, yet still able to capture my interest. Maybe because I'm getting old? I don't know about that. Anyways, this anime is set in a government agency with all your usual characters in a comedy anime. It's fun and very new to me and I love the artwork! This is the best summer 2013 anime that I've come across with which fits my taste.


So those are the four (three) summer 2013 anime series that I'm starting to watch. I hope that I will not be so busy and forget to bond with these funny and quite original anime from now on!

No comments :

Post a Comment