Sunday, April 28, 2013

Triple Treat: Historical K-dramas, Spring 2013.

I love K-dramas. Although, I am not much of a fan of historical type Korean dramas or sageuk dramas back then. After watching The Moon Embracing the Sun, I fell in love with Korea's historical culture, especially with the Joseon era which is mostly the era portrayed in Korean historical dramas. After The Moon Embracing the Sun, I watched Sungkyunkwan Scandal and then Rooftop Prince, which are historical dramas. (Although Rooftop Prince is not much of a historical drama) And then it started.

Now, I want to get into the spring "fever" (or frenzy) and have a breath of fresh air, so I picked up three new K-dramas this Spring 2013, all of which are historical ones. First up is Gu Family Book which stars Lee Seung gi and Miss A's Suzy. This drama is a story about a son (Lee Seung gi) of a mountain spirit and a human who is destined to meet and fall in love(?) with a woman who is very skilled in martial arts (Suzy). 


Amateur doodle of my Gu Family Book feels.


Firstly, I like it in terms of its plot. I am currently on episode 6 of Gu Family Book and it is getting more exciting. The first two episodes were like the prologue, the story which happened before the real story. All I can say now is that this drama is beautifully pieced together, I can see that every scene leads to another, smoothly. On the other hand, it teaches me a lot about the Joseon Dynasty. And especially now that the distinguished Admiral Lee Soon Shin made an appearance in the drama, I can feel that I will learn a lot of exciting things about Korean history.

Next one is Jang Ok Jung, Living in Love which stars Kim Tae Hee as Jang Ok Jung or more popularly known as Lady Jang Hee Bin, a famous Royal concubine in the Joseon Dynasty (or as an antagonist in most dramas tackling her life). This drama is however more concentrated on her life as a fashion designer and how she met and fell in love with the king (which she became concubine of), King Suk Jong.


Yet another doodle, inspired by Jang Ok Jung's dress in episode 1.

What I love about this drama is how it's close to reality, to what really happened in Joseon. Jang Ok Jung as I've mentioned earlier, is a popular person in Korean history and I really am interested in her and would like to know more about her through this drama. Also, the pretty Hanboks caught my attention because they are just too lovely and one of a kind. I would like to own one just to know what it feels like wearing it, especially now that I'm so into sageuk dramas. Another reason for watching this is Yoo Ah In. I've been looking forward to this drama ever since it was announced because Yoo Ah In is just too gorgeous in Sungkyunkwan Scandal and I couldn't contain myself in just thinking that he would play the King in this drama.

Last but not the least is Mandate of Heaven, which stars Lee Dong Wook and Song Ji Hyo. This drama is about a father (Lee Dong Wook) of a sick daughter who becomes a fugitive after being accused of poisoning the king.


Lee Dong Wook & Song Ji Hyo in Mandate of Heaven.

I'm still in episode 2 of this drama so I can't really say much. In fact, I just reworded the synopsis I found for this drama in the paragraph above. It's actually a spoiler for me because I haven't even gotten into the part yet where Lee Dong Wook was accused. Although, the first part of the first episode shows that he became a fugitive. Anyways, I will continue on watching this as I'm looking forward to both Lee Dong Wook and Song Ji Hyo's performances.

On another note, I am really into this app for iPad called "Paper," which I actually used in drawing these (not so amusing) doodles. I'm looking forward to downloading the coloring thing in this app so I could make my amateur drawings more pretty and easy to look at.

No comments :

Post a Comment