Friday, April 26, 2013

Girls just want to have fun.

I come home in the morning light,
My mother says "When you gonna live your life right?"
Oh, mother, dear,
We're not the fortunate ones,
And girls,
They wanna have fu-un.
Oh, girls,
Just wanna have fun.

The phone rings in the middle of the night,
My father yells "What you gonna do with your life?"
Oh, daddy, dear,
You know you're still number one,
But girls,
They wanna have fu-un,
Oh, girls, just wanna have..
That's all they really want...
Some fun...



Cyndi Lauper's song Girls just want to have fun not only is pleasing to hear, but also tells a truthful story.

As I am entering my 20's, I am slowly realizing how life is not always easy to fathom. Like in Ms. Lauper's song, her parents keep asking her what she plans to do with her life. I, admittedly, am also bombarded with that question. I said earlier that life itself is not easy to understand. I say that because there's so many things that I want to do and yes, one of them is to have fun like what Ms. Lauper continuously informed the public with her song. Girls just want to have fun, but that doesn't mean that people will leave us girls alone and let us have all the fun. Unfortunately, not all we want will be understood by many. Nevertheless, the main thing that this song imparts me is that people could (badly!) judge our decisions but it is up to us to have fun, to just not care about what they think and move forward with our lives.

On a slightly different yet related note, I have finished the first season of the HBO series Girls. Lena Dunham, the creator, writer and star of Girls, once mentioned in an interview that Girls is not like Gossip Girl or Sex in the City. The series itself is unique because the story that it tells is what happens between Gossip Girl (teenage years) and Sex in the City (adult-ready-to-get-married-years). The series tackles the "quarter-life crisis" which many young adults go through especially after graduating from college and starting their careers. Girls (the series) communicates to its audience the crisis these young adults (especially women) like me go through and how they cope with it. It portrayed the issues in a hilarious way yet you can feel its weight on the characters. 



My thoughts: Not all of us has their own future planned. Some might do so, but it is not guaranteed that it would push through. There is no guarantee that what we want ourselves to be would be there in just a snap. There is no guarantee that what we planned to do next will be what we really do next. Sometimes the world just plays with us just a bit to shake us, to temporarily prevent us from looking forward to our goals. However, it is up to us to be strong and not let the world have its fun of ruining our plans and permanently erasing our real intentions from our hearts and minds. To end this entry, I present to you a photo of us Girls, having fun.




1 comment :

  1. I'm not a girl anymore and life definitely didn't go according to plan - but, boy, am I glad it didn't :-)

    ReplyDelete