Monday, November 4, 2013

K-Mondays: My thoughts on "The Heirs" (Spoiler alert!)

I'm on the latest episodes of both The Heirs and Reply 1994, and I can't help but have some opinions on the story and the characters, be it good or bad. I like these two K-dramas so far, and I don't think that I have the reason to stop watching it. Also, I'm looking forward to these two every week, and I think they're always worth the wait. I'm going to talk about The Heirs this time, since I still haven't finished watching the latest episode of Reply 1994.


Oh, these two budding love birds in their love nest, the wine cellar. In episode 8, they had their first kiss. I have to admit, I didn't quite like it because I wanted it to be more romantic, especially that they're the leading couple. However, I don't think that it's that bad, considering the situation that they were in. Kim Tan is a growing boy, and I always have to keep in mind that they're playing teenagers who are full of passion and angst all at the same time, so I can accept that scene. 

They're gradually growing closer, yet the situation that they're in also makes them more distant from each other. Like what Chan Young's father realized, the people around them (really rich ones) will be the ones who will make Eun Sang realize that they (Eun Sang and Tan) will never be together. Tan knows this, yet he's willing to take the risk and handle the situation at hand, rather than thinking ahead. It's quite romantic, really, and very true for what young people are expected to do (like what Rachel also said), but it's too risky, and not only will they be hurt in the process, but also some people around them (like Rachel) will hurt, too.

On the other hand, this is how the story should go. Both of them should be ready to take the risk, yet Eun Sang doesn't seem to be so willing yet, and I assume that there will come a time that she will completely be strong about pushing for her feelings but also there will be a time when she'll completely give up and that's where the climax will be. Right now, I just feel like Kim Tan is sort of a douchebag, only because I (still) feel bad for Rachel. Otherwise, I still like it that the guy's the one rooting for their relationship and not just the woman suffering from her one-sided feelings for the guy.


Now I want to talk about Choi Young Do. Oh, you poor creature. Obviously, he's hurt, lonely, and real damaged goods. He's the character who'll clearly have a huge character development, and I'm looking forward to that. His developing feelings for Eun Sang is doomed to be unrequited, yet I have this tiny fire growing inside me that's wanting to cheer Young Do on for Eun Sang. Don't get me wrong, I still hate this guy and his childish whining about his father and unsettled hatred for Kim Tan, but his potential character development really gets me all excited. Just imagine what changes will it have on him to fall in love with Cha Eun Sang, the inheritor of poverty? It just pains me to think that his feelings might end up being condemned, and that he'll blame it all again on Kim Tan, and that everyone will judge his feelings not being real just because Kim Tan also likes Eun Sang. Get what I'm saying? I just wish Young Do will get something that he deserves, and something that is unexpected, just so he eventually becomes a better person, and not worse than he is. 

I think that's it for now. I am really excited now about Reply 1994, (I even saw spoilers already) but I still haven't gotten hold of a copy of the latest episode so I am still (impatiently) waiting for it. The Heirs is also getting exciting, but if in the next episodes, Eun Sang will not be putting more effort in adding to the development of the story(I mean, in her relationship with Kim Tan), that's when I'll put my rage on and probably write about it next K-Mondays (should that really happen).

No comments :

Post a Comment