Thursday, November 7, 2013

J-Wednesdays 水曜日だ!: Switch Girl!! (J-drama)



I started watching Switch Girl!! around last year, but it was really hard for me to get a copy of its first season back then, so I stopped after watching the first episode. I then read the manga, because I wanted to know how the story goes. As far as I remember, I've read the manga quite a lot. I even bought a volume of its manga (in Japanese) when I went to Singapore last year. Now, I've gotten a complete copy of Switch Girl!! seasons 1 and 2, and I plan on watching it all consecutively.


The main character is "Switch Girl" Tamiya Nika, a beautiful and popular high school girl. She's popular among girls and boys probably all because of her appearance and friendly personality in school.


Nika, when at school, always has her switch "ON." However, when she arrives at home, she lets her switch "OFF" and becomes like the girl in the screenshot above. When at home, she does not care about her appearance (but her hair needs to be like that), she's stinky and dirty (and also her room), and she's just like everyone of us at home, carefree. She's the complete opposite of the Nika in school, and that's why she's afraid that someone at school might know about her appearance at home, because they might end up bullying her and disregard her.


This is Nika with her older sister (who's much like her, also has an ON and OFF switch), Rika. 


Nika's life will change upon meeting this guy, Kamiyama Arata. She met Arata for the first time in a supermarket, and she taught him how to make many cucumbers fit in a bag, because apparently, the supermarket near their house has a promotion that all cucumbers that could fit in a bag are just for one price. 


When they went to school the next morning, Nika met Arata again.


After the two of them met again, Nika found out that Arata was the handsome (but rude) guy that he met at the rooftop back then. Nika was shocked upon finding out that Arata has a handsome face and that he's just hiding it with the use of the fake glasses. Arata doesn't want attention, that's why he's doing that. The two related with each other, and became friends. However, Arata also knows Nika's OFF side, and so their friendship is also bound by a secret that these two doesn't want to reveal to everyone at school.

Now for my comments. I find this similar to Horimiya, the manga that I wrote about back then. I first knew about Switch Girl!! before finding Horimiya, but I think I find Horimiya to have a better concept. I think that Switch Girl!! might be just your typical shoujo manga/story because of the way the characters react to situations, and I'm only realizing that now. There's this reaction unique to shoujo manga characters that are the same in every manga. Nevertheless, Switch Girl!! is also interesting, but seeing as it has the same concept with Horimiya, I now have lesser interest in it than before. I still am going to finish watching it though, because even though I said that it's the same with Horimiya, it still has something special to offer.


P.S.

I am writing this on a Thursday and I should be ashamed. My night was so spontaneous yesterday, and I got home at midnight so I didn't get the chance to write J-Wednesdays yesterday. Okay, I'll admit it. I watched OneRepublic's concert last night! It was awesome.

1 comment :

  1. But Switch Girl (manga) was older than Horimiya.. I've read both mangas, they each are cool in their own way. Switch Girl is crazy hilarious with their apparent spoilers/trivia on the real face of girls (on contrary of what they portray in public). Horimiya is calmer in comparison but also endearing. (^_^)

    ReplyDelete