Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Korean Dramas 2012

This post has been thought about just a few minutes ago as I had the urge to update this blog. I am doing an everyday challenge on my other, less serious blog on Tumblr and I suddenly felt like updating this more "serious" blog. As I am a K-drama junkie, I shall write about those that I finished, those that I had left behind in 2012, and those that I'm planning to continue on watching. First would be the K-dramas that I've finished watching.

(not in a particular order)


Reply 1997 (9 out of 10)















This drama is probably among the best that I've watched in my lifetime. I wouldn't compare it to the likes of Full House or Goong but I might say that it is one of those that I would watch over and over. Its concept of reunion and involvement of the past and future of a fan girl are the characteristics that made me drawn to this drama. I also love the accent used by the actors in the drama as it emphasizes that the characters have strong personalities.


The Thousandth Man (7 out of 10)














It is short compared to other dramas but it's just the right amount of episodes for the story because it would get dragged on if it had a full 16 episode format. I like how the characters are bright despite the sad and seemingly depressing story-line because of the association of themes such as death. That's basically what I've liked about this drama. I watched this as I was familiar with the Gumiho legend because of My Girlfriend is a Gumiho (also a K-drama) and because Lee Chun hee is the male lead. Although some scenes were (for a lack of good terms) "pushing it," the ending satisfied the whole story so I was happy yet sad about that.


The Moon Embracing the Sun (9 out of 10)














Now, this is real talk. If you want a full on drama with a great plot, I suggest you watch this. I see nothing wrong about this drama as it has qualities of your average yet amazing TV dramas. At first, I didn't want to watch this because I really am not fond of heavy dramas with a 'traditional' theme (Joseon era). I find those kinds of dramas too slow-paced and I get bored easily. But this one made me watch every episode that comes next because I couldn't stop wondering what would happen next. One of my strongly recommended dramas for 2012.


Big (5 out of 10)














I didn't like the ending and I doubt anyone liked it. This is one of those dramas which starts off good (real good that is) that you want to watch it until the end but the end disappoints you. I wrote a post about its ending here in this blog and I explained a few things regarding the ending from what I understand and from what I want to believe. I might have criticized this a lot because I expected great things from the Hong sisters (writers of this drama; good ones). I've watched every drama that they had written (except Hong Gil Dong) and this is the worst. I get it that they're experimenting on writing with different themes but I didn't like how they portrayed this. I do not recommend if you make endings a huge deal (like me).


Love Rain (8 out of 10)















I also wrote about the first few episodes of this drama in this blog. I definitely like the concept and had a depressing time watching it. It has a sad theme but I tell you this is full on romance. It left me all fluffy and warm inside yet tears flow on the outside. A bit draggy I suppose and took me courage to finish it. The soundtrack was great.


Dream High 2 (8 out of 10)














Sequel to Dream High 1 but only one cast member (who is also the producer) remained: JYP. It is not better than Dream High 1 plot wise but comedy wise, I liked this better because the first one was much more serious. This is more light-hearted yet it made me cry (I suppose because I can relate). Dream High 1 has a point higher than this one but I still recommend it.


Wild Romance (9 out of 10)














As this drama was aired in KBS at the same time-slot as The Moon Embracing the Sun in MBC, it got low ratings in Korea. But because I didn't like watching traditional themed dramas then, I watched this first and liked it a lot. If you ask for comedy, this is so funny. And if you ask for butterflies in your stomach, I got that too, from watching this. This drama might be underrated, but its plot is as serious as it gets yet retains its rom-com quality.


The Innocent Man (8 out of 10)














Confession: I watched this because of Song Joong ki. Well, who didn't watch it for him? Haha. Although I also watched it for Lee Kwang Soo as I adore him in Running Man. I also am not fond of melodramas and I didn't really want to watch this at first. Like The Moon Embracing the Sun, this is like your average revenge and dark themed dramas out there yet it makes one continue watching it because it is damn interesting. Comic relief is also provided by Lee Kwang Soo.



Rooftop Prince (9 out of 10)














I hate it when I get irritated by a mere character in a story. I still haven't the guts to continue this as I'm afraid I might have a rage because of one character. However, the characters are lovely and hilarious as hell because they time travelled to the future. (Is what I said before I finished it) Now that I'm done with it, I can say that it's quite appealing to me because of the characters (excluding the antagonist that is) and the main plot. As I'm a sucker for time travel love stories, I definitely fell in love with this drama.


Second part contains those that I haven't finished watching yet. I will still rate them according to what I've finished watching. Ending is not obviously considered in the rating.

The King 2 Hearts (8 out of 10)

I watched this while I was still struggling with college life thus haven't had the time to actually finish it back then. I stopped watching this because I was too sad/angry/frustrated at the sudden turn of events. What's interesting about this drama is that it involves North Korea and not only that, the female lead is a North Korean while the male lead is a South Korean prince. I believe I was almost halfway done but I didn't get to finish it. I still plan on watching though when I get a copy.

Queen In-Hyun's Man (6 out of 10)

Time travel? I love those stuff. And a romantic comedy is it? I'm on! Also, I'm still halfway through, I find the concept amazing and the chemistry of the main leads is so romantic. I'm putting it aside for now because some other recent dramas caught my attention.

Cheongdamdong Alice (6 out of 10)

I don't like main characters who are always bullied but I know that this would get better so I'm giving it a chance. I don't like the crazy guy though. Fashion is involved and is a plus. I also heard something (an event which I'm in favor of) about the story that made me decide to continue watching it.

A Gentleman's Dignity (7 out of 10)

I just started watching this and so far, I don't have the reason to stop it. Gorgeous men in their forties - what a fresh idea. And I mean it. 


Third and last part: 5 % to no chance of picking it up again. Will rate based on very few episodes that I've watched.

I Love Lee Tae Ri (6 out of 10)

Has potential and plot seems interesting although I don't think I'd waste time finding decent copies.

The Marriage Plot (5 out of 10)

Concept seems interesting but common. Characters didn't have an impact on me on the first episode so..

To the Beautiful You (6 out of 10)

Hana Kimi Korea! What I've been waiting for since Hana Kimi Japan. SM entertainment picking it up didn't satisfy me at all. Could've gotten more potential in the hands of other producers in my opinion. Also, I already know the story and seems like there's nothing more to it so I stopped.

Operation Proposal (5 out of 10)

Another Korean version of a favorite Japanese drama of mine, Proposal Daisakusen. I loved the original series yet I didn't seem to be that interested in this Korean version after watching the first episode.

No comments :

Post a Comment