Wednesday, May 21, 2014

TV Wednesday: Haikyuu!! (Spring, 2014)

I don't watch much sports anime, except for Slam Dunk when I was younger. Not even the popular Kuroko no Basuke can make me watch anime centered around sports. This time, however, I got hooked. Haikyuu!! is a sports anime about high school men's volleyball. Believe it or not, I was a volleyball player when I was in high school and our school team even won first place in a big inter-school event. Our team wasn't that good in volleyball because most of us haven't really participated in volleyball competitions in the past. However, with much training and dedication, we made it to the top. I was a receiver since I really don't have much talent with setting or spiking, but I wasn't the libero (the one with the different or contrasting uniform from the rest of the team and enters the court freely but can only replace the players in the back positions). Anyway, I know volleyball and I like anime stories about male camaraderie (like Kimi to Boku perhaps), and so I watched Haikyuu!!

There are currently seven released episodes and I've watched all of them. I still don't have a favorite character but Tanaka-senpai and Tsukishima might just be one of the candidates (yes, both are not main characters). 


Tanaka-senpai and Tsukishima.

The screenshot above might give false impressions on the anime, but that's a memorable scene for me, from episode 6.

I didn't have much idea of the flow of the story before I watched it that's why I won't bother sharing it here. Just the information 'volleyball' and 'male camaraderie' or bromance as I like to call it, are enough to make a person watch or not watch the anime. 

I think that's it! Let the plot surprise you, if ever you're planning to watch this anime. It is good though, in my opinion, which might be an opinion of most shoujo-manga/anime avid watchers.

No comments :

Post a Comment